Technical Lead – Electronic Engineer
We’re looking for a Technical Lead to steer interesting and challenging hardware design and development projects. We’re looking for someone with technical excellence and a demonstrated passion for research and development. They will join a world-class team working with leading clients in the fast moving arenas of IoT and digital TV technologies.
We’re an entrepreneurial, customer-facing consultancy business, so our Technical Leads must be passionate about innovation, communication, and leading by example. In all that they do our Technical Leads consistently provide a premium service to their team, the business and a wide variety of clients and stakeholders.
Learn more about this role
Are you a Technical Lead, or maybe an experienced Electronics Engineer ready for your next challenge? Perhaps you prefer to think of yourself as a hardware design expert or just a really good engineer who’s great at communicating with people? This could be the dream job you’ve been waiting for.
Consult Red is a trusted partner to the digital media industry and beyond, driving innovation and delivering support through the entire product development journey.
We apply our cutting-edge experience in product development, hardware, embedded and cloud technology to help companies in all sectors to deliver connected devices and systems.
Founded by 5 engineering leaders from Pace Micro Technology in 2003, Consult Red has grown a strong reputation working with some of the world’s leading Pay TV, media and OTT operators.
Since then we’ve grown from being an embedded specialist in the media sector to a provider working with companies in other industries such as Energy and Healthcare. We’ve applied our cutting-edge experience and talent in product development, hardware, embedded and cloud technology to help customers deliver connected devices and systems.
As the world becomes more and more connected, it’s this experience that we think will drive opportunities for our clients looking to broaden their appeal and their business in the next decade.
We work with clients as a secure, discreet and reliable partner who works hard in the background, making sure everything is done on time. Our teams work from fully equipped laboratories in Yorkshire in the UK, Wroclaw in Poland and Los Angeles in the USA.
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
In sporting terms, you’re the Captain, not the Manager. You’ll still be in a hands on technical role, working day to day within and across teams, but you’ll be the one your colleagues look to for technical analysis, guidance and leadership. Based on your accumulated knowledge of hardware design and electronic engineering you will chart and steer the technical decision process from understanding client requirements through to product specifications, low level or system design, development, test and form strategies for mitigating technical risk throughout a product development cycle.
In addition, your knowledge and expertise will guide the technical approach of the team and help them in challenging situations through advice on the most suitable methods to problem solving. Our clients will know you as the innovative and dynamic member of the team – though not necessarily the most senior in years. They will also learn you are someone they can rely upon to respond to their questions by clear explanation of complex technical matters in a straight forward down to earth manner.
What you will need to bring
- Typically 10 years working in a design and development environment with a varied product delivery portfolio covering a range of hardware technologies
- Ability to understand, disseminate and communicate complex engineering issues to both colleagues and clients
- The skill to demonstrate by example product specification, design and development cycle
- An ability to innovate and offer exemplary customer technical service
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken
- Ability to contribute to and steer hardware architecture level design decisions
- First grade knowledge of electronic hardware architecture and design
- Lead product design reviews, setting out acceptance criteria and contributing valuable critical feedback
- Ability to communicate and integrate project work with software teams and innovate solutions to the benefit of all engineering disciplines
- Ability to learn and utilise CAD systems for schematic entry and PCB layout.
- The go to person for problem solving and debug, built on the breadth and depth of experience and knowledge you are bringing to the role
- Professional, concise communications with customers to support and develop their product ideas and requirements
- Knowledge of Compliance landscape and how it applies to customer product development
- Ability to work with Linux and command line tools for hardware development
- Awareness of commercial implications and effects following critical design decisions
- Project technical estimation and resource planning
Desirable Tech Skills
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required. An ability and willingness to learn is just as important.
- Project planning.
- Embedded hardware/software system architecting.
- Project management.
- Knowledge of digital TV, IoT, digital compression and networking standards.
Our customers value our expertise and industry experience, so they will look to you for advice, feedback, and solutions to a variety of technical problems. This means you’ll need to be knowledgeable, approachable and adaptable; stepping in to assist proactively, wherever you see a potential bump in the road.
This is a highly visible role within the business and as well as helping others, you’ll have significant opportunities to train, develop yourself, and to progress your own career at Consult Red.
What you will get in return
- A competitive salary which will grow with your career.
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow, as well as learning from talented colleagues
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every year you stay with us
- A flexible approach to work and an entrepreneurial atmosphere
- Free on-site parking, rail season ticket support, and a cycle to work scheme
- Relocation assistance for those moving to the area
Our Recruitment Process
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.