Junior Software Engineer
This is a great opportunity to build a successful career in software Engineering, solving complex engineering problems for a variety of high-profile customers. We’re looking for people that are passionate about technology and who want to expand their horizons in an exciting and fast-moving area of the technology industry.
Learn more about this role
Consult Red is an employee-owned company and a trusted partner to some of the world’s largest brands. We’re an R&D technology partner that develops cutting-edge ‘Internet of Things (IoT) smart, connected products, video and broadband end-user equipment streaming TV devices, networks and platforms. Connected devices and systems developed by Consult Red are currently in more than 30 million homes around the world.
Our story started in 2003 when five friends founded the company in Shipley, West Yorkshire. Since then, we’ve grown a lot. We work with the world’s leading media operators, including Liberty Global (Virgin, UPC), Comcast (Sky) and AT&T (Directv), and in the last 12 months alone we’ve grown our team in the UK, Poland and the US by 40%. We’re now over 220 people globally, working collaboratively to provide an industry-leading consultancy service across software development, hardware, embedded, and cloud technologies.
We’re proud to be an employee owned company. At Consult Red, everyone has a stake, and everyone has a say. The employees are the business owners, and we work together with shared values and purpose towards our common goals. We want every team member to feel empowered, have a say in our future, and share in our success.
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
After getting up to speed working on internal projects, you’ll become part of an Agile development team; working in a fast-paced, customer-facing software development role. This will give you a great grounding in embedded software design, as well as commercial experience of C++ and Java, and exposure to technologies such as Android.
What you will need to bring
- Knowledge of Computer architecture and software engineering
- Knowledge of Object-oriented design
- Programming skills in a range of languages, ideally including one or more of C, C++ and Java
- Experience using software development tools including IDEs (for example, Eclipse), version control systems (for example, Git, Mercurial or Subversion), compilers and debuggers
- Familiarity with Linux operating systems and common command-line tools
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and spoken)
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Desirable Tech Skills
Object Orientated programming in C++ or Java / Linux kernel / drivers / GCC / GDB / TDD and Unit Testing frameworks such as Google Test / Software development for consumer electronics or TV / Networking protocols and standards including TCP/IP / Agile, Scrum methodologies
What you will get in return
- A competitive salary that grows with your career
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow your career
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day every year – to a maximum of 30 days.
- Healthcare plan (Bupa and Medicash)
- A flexible and risk-averse approach to remote work
- Access to the “Headspace” mindfulness app
Our Recruitment Process
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.