Technical Leader (C/C++ embedded)
We’re looking for an experienced Technical Lead to join us and help us deliver top quality services. You’ll set the direction and act as the technical expert in one of our Agile development teams, working in our office in Wrocław.
Learn more about this role
Are you an experienced Technical Lead, or maybe an experienced Software Engineer ready for your next challenge? Perhaps you prefer to think of yourself as an Expert Developer or just a really good engineer who’s great with people? This could be the dream job you’ve been waiting for.
Consult Red is a trusted partner to the digital media industry and beyond, driving innovation and delivering support through the entire product development journey.
We apply our cutting-edge experience in product development, hardware, embedded and cloud technology to help companies in all sectors to deliver connected devices and systems.
We take good care of our engineers not only salary and benefits-wise but also when it comes to their place of service delivery. Our teams work from fully equipped laboratories in Yorkshire in the UK, Wroclaw in Poland and Los Angeles, California.
And currently, having taken their equipment, office chairs and favourite coffee cups with them, our team members #stayathome and work safely from there. Still, we make our office available for our engineers – if you prefer working from the office, you’re free to do so!
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
- You’ll generally be part of an established Agile (Scrum) team. While Scrum teams don’t officially have leaders, you’ll be able to use your experience to offer support and advice to other members of the team.
- You will be working on the next generation of TV streaming box.
- Our customers value our expertise and industry experience, so they will look to you for advice, feedback, and solutions to a variety of technical problems. This means you’ll need to be knowledgeable, approachable and adaptable; stepping in to assist proactively, wherever you see a potential bump in the road.
What you will need to bring
- Really strong, hands-on, software engineering experience
- Great knowledge of modern software engineering techniques – such as object-oriented design, unit testing/test driven development, CI/CD, use of code analysis tools
- You are likely to have experience of developing in languages such as C, C++ or Java, but you’ll also be comfortable with the idea of learning new languages and technologies quickly
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum teams
- Experience mentoring and supporting other engineers on your team. While this doesn’t need to be in a formal management/leadership capacity, you will be a “people person” and a very strong team player, and you’ll know how to encourage a team to achieve it’s technical goals and hit deadlines
- A desire to grow your career – you’ll be the sort of person who is always up for a challenge, interested to learn new things and gain new experience
- Outstanding communication skills; you’ll be confident discussing technical matters with both technical and non-technical people
Desirable Tech Skills
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required – ability and willingness to learn is just as important.
C++11 / STL or frameworks such as Qt • Embedded or mobile Java, JNI • Linux development / kernel / driver / networking code • Android / AOSP development • RTOS • GCC / GDB • TDD and Unit Testing frameworks such as Google Test / Mockito / JUnit • Software development for consumer electronics, Internet of Things, or TV • Audio, Video & TV standards • Networking protocols and standards including TCP/IP, Wi-Fi, UPnP / DLNA, HLS, MPEG-DASH • Cloud development for AWS / Google Cloud / Microsoft Azure • Agile / Scrum / Kanban • UML • Use of planning tools e.g. Jira, MS Project
What you will get in return
- A competitive salary which will grow with your career
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow, as well as learn from talented colleagues
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every calendar year you stay with us (up to a maximum of 31 days)
- Access to Headspace meditation app
- Flexibility in your working hours and home office
Our Recruitment Process
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.