Electronic Engineer – Compliance
We’re looking for a talented Compliance Engineer to join us in a permanent or temporary role based in our office in West Yorkshire.
Learn more about this role
Consult Red is an employee-owned company and a trusted partner to some of the world’s largest brands. We’re an R&D technology partner that develops cutting-edge ‘Internet of Things (IoT) smart, connected products, video and broadband end-user equipment, streaming TV devices, networks and platforms. Connected devices and systems developed by Consult Red are currently in more than 30 million homes around the world.
Our story started in 2003 when five friends founded the company in Shipley, West Yorkshire. Since then, we’ve grown a lot. We work with the world’s leading media operators, including Liberty Global (Virgin, UPC), Comcast (Sky) and AT&T (Directv), and in the last 12 months along we’ve grown our team in the UK, Poland and the US by 40%. We’re now over 220 people globally, working collaboratively to provide an industry-leading consultancy service across software development, hardware, embedded, and cloud technologies.
We’re proud to be an employee-owned business. At Consult Red, everyone has a stake, and everyone has a say. The employees are the business owners, and we work together with shared values and purpose towards our common goals. We want every team member to feel empowered, have a say in our future, and share in our success.
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
We’re looking for an Electronic product compliance Engineer to support our hardware design and development team and clients with various UK, EU & Worldwide regulatory compliance activities. We’re looking for someone with technical excellence and demonstrated experience of compliance and applying standards. They will join a world-class team working with leading clients in the fast-moving arenas of IoT and digital TV technologies.
This role will allow you to develop your engineering knowledge and offer challenges to build on your existing skills. Applicants from a compliance laboratory background will have the opportunity to see things from an R&D perspective and become familiar in electronic design and engineering disciplines. You’ll form part of a team, contributing to product development, verification and overall project delivery. The results of your work will be important to our clients who operate at the forefront of technologies using embedded hardware and software.
As part of the team you’ll both develop yourself and contribute to the value we bring to our clients who operate across a wide variety of applications from the lowest power IoT devices to the highest speed home entertainment broadcast receivers. You will work in a flexible environment reporting to a Group Lead or Project Manager and will have considerable exposure to our clients and other partners. You will need to bring sound engineering knowledge, be able to learn ‘on the job’ and have first-rate communications skills.
What you will need to bring
- A minimum of two years working in an electronic product development, compliance or test environment.
- Ability to understand complex engineering standards and clearly communicate them via phone, email and other methods.
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Electronic product compliance standards, test methods and requirements for conformity to directives.
- Knowledge of basic electronic hardware architecture and design principles.
- Attention to detail and ability to explain, triage and resolve complex issues.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
Desirable Tech Skills
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required. Ability and willingness to learn are just as important.
- Ability to understand and contribute to schematics and PCB layouts.
- Knowledge of RF measurement techniques.
- Radio / Wi-Fi experience
- Demonstrable knowledge of the principles of electronic hardware testing and debug.
What you will get in return
- A competitive salary that grows with your career
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow your career
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day every year to a maximum of 30 days
- A flexible and risk-averse approach to remote work
- Healthcare plan (Bupa and Medicash)
- Access to the “Headspace” mindfulness app
Our Recruitment Process
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.