Smart demand vehicle charging solution
For: Leading UK energy supplier
A major UK energy supplier wanted to develop a cloud-controlled vehicle to grid (V2G) power management solution to complement renewable generation and meet grid system demand needs.
They came to Red with the idea and concept and needed help to make this a reality.
What we did:
Strategy & feasibility
Definition of the hardware and embedded software architectures.
Proof of concept & design
Development of the hardware solution capable of supporting three product types.
Development & Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Production of the product prototypes.
- Design and development of the embedded software stack, including the sensor data processing and control algorithms.
- Development of an AI control process and the cloud interface to manage demand.
Over 75% of electric vehicles could be using smart charging by 2050*. Well over 2.8 trillion data points will be collected into 2050 to understand where electric vehicles are charging on the electricity system*.
*Source: Future Energy Scenarios – nationalgrid ESO, July 2019
How we did it:
- The solution we developed uses AI to create ‘smart-charge’, controlling the balance of demand load across the grid.
- The sensing technology we integrated into the product design and hardware is key to the control system and management of grid services.
- We knew the potential pitfalls and could help to navigate the customer through each stage of the development journey.
Looking for someone to help you develop a project?
We’re a technology consulting company helping clients deliver connected devices and systems.