We’re looking for an Electronic Engineer to undertake interesting and challenging design and development projects. We’re looking for someone with technical excellence and a demonstrated passion for research. They will join a world-class team working with leading clients in the fast moving arenas of IoT and digital TV technologies.
Learn more about this role
Consult Red is an employee-owned company and a trusted partner to some of the world’s largest brands. We’re an R&D technology partner that develops cutting-edge ‘Internet of Things (IoT) smart, connected products, video and broadband end-user equipment, streaming TV devices, networks and platforms. Connected devices and systems developed by Consult Red are currently in more than 30 million homes around the world.
Our story started in 2003 when five friends founded the company in Shipley, West Yorkshire. Since then, we’ve grown a lot. We work with the world’s leading media operators, including Liberty Global (Virgin, UPC), Comcast (Sky) and AT&T (Directv), and in the last 12 months along we’ve grown our team in the UK, Poland and the US by 40%. We’re now over 220 people globally, working collaboratively to provide an industry-leading consultancy service across software development, hardware, embedded, and cloud technologies.
We’re proud to be an employee-owned business. At Consult Red, everyone has a stake, and everyone has a say. The employees are the business owners, and we work together with shared values and purpose towards our common goals. We want every team member to feel empowered, have a say in our future, and share in our success.
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
This role will allow you to develop your existing engineering knowledge and offer challenges to hone your skills in electronic design and engineering disciplines. You’ll form part of a team, contributing to product development, verification and overall project delivery. The results of your work will be important to our clients who operate at the forefront of technologies using embedded hardware and software.
As part of the team in you’ll both develop yourself and contribute to the value we bring to our clients who operate across a wide variety of applications from lowest power IoT devices to highest speed home entertainment broadcast receivers. You will work in a flexible environment reporting to a Group Lead or Project Manager and will have considerable exposure to our clients and other partners. You will need to bring a sound engineering knowledge, be able to learn ‘on the job’ and have first rate communications skills.
What you will need to bring
- A minimum of five years working in a hardware design and development environment.
- Ability to understand complex engineering issues and clearly communicate them via phone, email and other methods
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken.
- Demonstrable knowledge of electronic hardware architecture and design principles.
- Knowledge of basic printed circuit design principles.
- Ability to understand and learn CAD systems for schematic entry and PCB layout.
- Demonstrable ability to develop a design to an agreed specification, taking the product requirements into account.
- Knowledge of modern software and scripting techniques.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the principles of electronic hardware testing and debug.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
Desirable Tech Skills
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required. An ability and willingness to learn is just as important.
- PCB layout skills.
- Product specification creation
- Familiarity with Linux and command line tools.
- Contribute to architecture level design.
- Design review experience and critique.
What you will get in return
- A competitive salary which will grow with your career.
- A twice yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow, as well as learning from talented colleagues
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every year you stay with us
- Free on-site parking, rail season ticket support, and a cycle to work scheme.
- Relocation assistance for those moving to the area.
Our Recruitment Process
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.