Graduate Software Engineer
We are recruiting a Graduate Software Engineer to join us in a permanent role, based in our Shipley office. This is a great opportunity to build a successful career in software Engineering, solving complex engineering problems for a variety of high profile customers.
We’re looking for people that are passionate about technology and who want to expand their horizons in an exciting and fast-moving area of the technology industry.
Learn more about this role
We’re a technology-focused professional services company at heart. Red was born out of a love for embedded technology, a fierce sense of adventure, and a strong desire to do something different. We are over 140 people, working across 3 global offices, to provide cutting-edge embedded solutions for some of the world’s biggest TV, Internet of Things and consumer electronic brands If that’s something that you’re interested in, we’d love to hear from you.
Please note: we are primarily recruiting for graduates to start in summer 2020.
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
After getting up to speed working on internal projects, you’ll become part of an Agile development team; working in a fast-paced, customer-facing software development role. This will give you a great grounding in embedded software design, as well as commercial experience of C++ and Java, and exposure to technologies such as Android.
This role will challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone, so we’re looking for bright a graduate with a relevant degree (or equivalent experience) and a keen interest in software. You’ll ideally have a sound theoretical knowledge, an ability to learn “on the job”, and excellent communication skills.
What you will need to bring
- Knowledge of Computer architecture and software engineering
- Knowledge of Object oriented design
- Programming skills in a range of languages, ideally including one or more of C, C++ and Java
- Experience using software development tools including IDEs (for example, Eclipse), version control systems (for example, Git, Mercurial or Subversion), compilers and debuggers
- Familiarity with Linux operating systems and common command line tools
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and spoken)
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Desirable Tech Skills
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required – ability and willingness to learn is just as important.
C++11 / STL or frameworks such as Qt • Embedded or mobile Java, JNI • Linux development / kernel / driver / networking code • Android / AOSP development • RTOS • GCC / GDB • TDD and Unit Testing frameworks such as Google Test / Mockito / JUnit • Software development for consumer electronics, Internet of Things, or TV • Audio, Video & TV standards • Networking protocols and standards including TCP/IP, Wi-Fi, UPnP / DLNA, HLS, MPEG-DASH • Cloud development for AWS / Google Cloud / Microsoft Azure • Agile / Scrum / Kanban • UML • Use of planning tools e.g. Jira, MS Project
What you will get in return
Included in your contract:
- A competitive salary which will grow with your career.
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow, as well as learning from talented colleagues
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every year you stay with us
- A flexible approach to work and an entrepreneurial atmosphere.
- Free on-site parking, rail season ticket support and a cycle to work scheme.
Our Recruitment Process
Once you submit your CV, we’ll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of things. This will then go directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll often do a short first stage telephone interview to find out more about you and to check that the role would be a good fit for your requirements.
Then, if you progress to interview stage we’ll try to cover off everything we can in one sitting, to make the process quicker for you - which means our interviews can be slightly longer than average. We want you to leave the interview with a real feel for the job and what it’s like to work with us.