Software Engineer – Tools and Infrastructure
We’re looking for a talented, hands-on Software Engineer to support and develop our in-house tools and infrastructure. Consult Red’s 250 (and counting!) engineers will be relying on you to develop and look after the tools and infrastructure that keep their projects running like clockwork.
Learn more about this role
Consult Red is an employee-owned company and a trusted partner to some of the world’s largest brands. We’re an R&D technology partner developing cutting-edge ‘Internet of Things (IoT) smart, connected products, video and broadband end-user equipment, streaming TV devices, networks and platforms. Connected devices and systems developed by Consult Red are currently in more than 30 million homes worldwide.
We’re proud to be an employee-owned business. At Consult Red, everyone has a stake and a say. The employees are the business owners, and we work together with shared values and purpose towards our common goals. We want every team member to feel empowered, have a say in our future, and share our success.
If that is something you can get excited about, we’d love to hear from you.
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
Our engineers rely on a range of infrastructure to keep their projects running smoothly – high-powered build servers, instances of off-the-shelf services like Jenkins and Gitlab, and bespoke tools such as our in-house developed platform that allows an engineer to test code and change channels on a TV they are watching from 5000 miles away.
You will work within our Engineering (Delivery) department, and your colleagues will be your customer – providing you with their requirements and supporting you to prioritise the most important features and functionality. You will also work closely alongside our IT (Operations) team to ensure that the right on-premise and cloud infrastructure is in place to support this and that the tools and services integrate neatly with our company’s IT infrastructure.
You will become a champion for the tools you manage, working to spread good practice among our engineer teams and helping to improve our working practices.
Consult Red has a flexible, hybrid working policy, and our engineers can normally work well either at home or in the office. Due to the nature of this role, you’ll sometimes need to work in the office alongside the IT team and occasionally roll up your sleeves to configure hardware or physically push buttons, so you will need to be able to work from our Shipley, West Yorkshire office for at least two days a week. Occasional travel to our office in Wrocław, Poland is also a possibility.
What you will need to bring
- Configuration/administration of Linux systems – good grasp of shell scripts, system modules, etc. Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to understand complex issues and discuss them via video call, phone, email and other methods
- Flexible, proactive, can-do approach
Desirable Tech Skills
- Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required
- Docker and related technologies, e.g. Kubernetes
- CI tools, e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab pipelines
- Web servers, e.g. Apache, Nginx
- Networking protocols and standards, including TCP/IP
- Security protocols – TLS/HTTPS, SSH etc
- TDD and Unit Testing frameworks such as Google Test
- Build automation and related tools such as Make, Maven, Ant, CMake, Yocto, Bitbake, Buildroot
What you will get in return
- A competitive salary that will grow with your career
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow, as well as learn from talented colleagues
- Bupa and Medicash Healthcare package
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every calendar year you stay with us – up to a maximum of 30
- 5% matched contributory pension
- Access to Headspace meditation app
- Flexibility in your working hours and home office
- Free on-site parking, rail season ticket support, and a cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Relocation assistance for those moving to the area
Our Recruitment Process
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.