This is a great opportunity to build a successful career in Electronic Engineering, solving complex engineering problems for a variety of high-profile customers. We’re looking for people that are passionate about technology and who want to expand their horizons in an exciting and fast-moving area of the technology industry.
Learn more about this role
Consult Red is an employee-owned company and a trusted partner to some of the world’s largest brands. We’re an R&D technology partner that develops cutting-edge ‘Internet of Things (IoT) smart, connected products, video and broadband end-user equipment, streaming TV devices, networks and platforms. Connected devices and systems developed by Consult Red are currently in more than 30 million homes around the world.
Our story started in 2003 when five friends founded the company in Shipley, West Yorkshire. Since then, we’ve grown a lot. We work with the world’s leading media operators, including Liberty Global (Virgin, UPC), Comcast (Sky) and AT&T (Directv), and in the last 12 months along we’ve grown our team in the UK, Poland and the US by 40%. We’re now over 220 people globally, working collaboratively to provide an industry-leading consultancy service across software development, hardware, embedded, and cloud technologies.
We’re proud to be an employee-owned business. At Consult Red, everyone has a stake, and everyone has a say. The employees are the business owners, and we work together with shared values and purpose towards our common goals. We want every team member to feel empowered, have a say in our future, and share in our success.
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
This role will challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone, so we’re looking for an engineer with a relevant degree (or equivalent experience) around two years’ industrial experience (minimum) and a keen interest in electronics. You’ll start by learning about the technologies & tools that the hardware team use to go about delivering products and projects to our customers. By working as part of the team you’ll begin to produce your own work results, valuable to our customers who operate at the forefront of technologies using embedded hardware designs across a wide variety of applications from lowest power IoT devices to highest speed home entertainment broadcast receivers. You’ll ideally have sound theoretical knowledge, an ability to learn “on the job”, and excellent communication skills.
What you will need to bring
- A minimum of two years working in a hardware design and development environment.
- Knowledge of electronic engineering and fundamentals of software systems.
- Electronic debug ability using high-speed oscilloscopes, logic analysers and other standard test equipment
- The ability to understand and learn CAD systems for schematic entry and PCB layout.
- Knowledge of the development and & test of analogue, digital & RF circuits.
- Knowledge of modern software & scripting techniques.
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and spoken).
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
Desirable Tech Skills
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required. An ability and willingness to learn is just as important.
- PCB layout skills.
- Product specification creation
- Familiarity with Linux and command-line tools.
What you will get in return
What we’ll give you in return:
- A competitive salary that will grow with your career.
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme.
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow, as well as learning from talented colleagues.
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every year you stay with us.
- A flexible approach to work and an entrepreneurial atmosphere.
- Free on-site parking, rail season ticket support and a cycle to work scheme.
Our Recruitment Process
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.