Agile Software Expert
We’re looking for a superb Software Engineer to join us and share your superpowers! You’ll set the direction and act as the technical expert in one of our Agile development teams.
Learn more about this role
Consult Red is a trusted partner to the digital media industry and beyond, driving innovation and delivering support through the entire product development journey.
We apply our cutting-edge experience in software development, hardware, embedded and cloud technology to help companies in all sectors to deliver connected devices and systems.
Founded by 5 engineering leaders from Pace Micro in 2003, Consult Red has grown a strong reputation working with some of the world’s leading Pay TV, media and OTT operators.
Since then we have grown from being an embedded specialist in the media sector to a professional services provider working with companies in other industries such as Energy and Healthcare. We’ve applied our cutting-edge experience and talent in product development, hardware, embedded and cloud technology to help customers deliver connected devices and systems.
We take good care of our staff, not only salary and benefits-wise but also when it comes to their place of service delivery. Our teams work from fully equipped laboratories in Yorkshire in the UK, Wroclaw in Poland and Los Angeles, California.
And currently, having taken their equipment, office chairs and favourite coffee cups with them, our team members #stayathome and work safely from there.
If that is something you can get excited about, we'd love to hear from you.
How you will spend your time
In this role, you’ll build on your proven experience of software development and add in the ability to lead and inspire your team.
In footballing terms, you’re the Captain, not the Manager. You’ll still be in a hands-on technical role, working day-to-day in a Scrum team, but you’ll be the one your colleagues look to for support, to set their technical direction, help them out of sticky situations, and advise them on the right approach to a problem. Our clients will know you as the most dynamic member of the team (though not necessarily the most senior in years) and as someone they can rely upon to answer their questions and explain difficult technical stuff in a down-to-earth way.
You’ll have excellent knowledge of software development. We mainly use C++ or Java, so experience with those is really helpful, but if you can show expertise in other languages, good theoretical knowledge and an ability to learn quickly we’d still love to hear from you.
You’ll generally be part of an established Agile (Scrum) team. While Scrum teams don’t officially have leaders, you’ll be able to use your experience to offer support and advice to other members of the team.
The work involves the delivery of a wide array of bespoke customer projects – you might be working on anything from the next generation of TV streaming box to a new embedded Internet-of-Things device that might sit at the heart of the home of the future.
Our customers value our expertise and industry experience, so they will look to you for advice, feedback and solutions to a variety of technical problems. This means you’ll need to be knowledgeable, approachable and adaptable; stepping in to assist proactively, wherever you see a potential bump in the road.
This is a highly visible role within the business and, as well as helping others, you’ll have significant opportunities to train, develop yourself, and to progress your own career at Red Embedded.
What you will need to bring
- Really strong, hands-on, software engineering experience
- Great knowledge of modern software engineering techniques – such as object-oriented design, unit testing/test-driven development, CI/CD, use of code analysis tools
- You are likely to have experience of developing in languages such as C++ or Java, but you’ll also be comfortable with the idea of learning new languages and technologies quickly
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum teams
- Experience mentoring and supporting other engineers on your team. While this doesn’t need to be in a formal management/leadership capacity, you will be a “people person” and a very strong team player, and you’ll know how to encourage a team to achieve it’s technical goals and hit deadlines
- A desire to grow your career – you’ll be the sort of person who is always up for a challenge, interested to learn new things and gain new experience
- A flexible, can-do approach
- Outstanding communication skills; you’ll be confident discussing technical matters with both technical and non-technical people
Desirable Tech Skills
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required – an ability and willingness to learn is just as important.
C++11 / STL or frameworks such as Qt • Embedded or mobile Java, JNI • Linux development / kernel / driver / networking code • Android / AOSP development • RTOS • GCC / GDB • TDD and Unit Testing frameworks such as Google Test / Mockito / JUnit • Software development for consumer electronics, Internet of Things, or TV • Audio, Video & TV standards • Networking protocols and standards including TCP/IP, Wi-Fi, UPnP / DLNA, HLS, MPEG-DASH • Cloud development for AWS / Google Cloud / Microsoft Azure • Agile / Scrum / Kanban • UML • Use of planning tools e.g. Jira, MS Project
What you will get in return
- A competitive salary which will grow with your career.
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow, as well as learning from talented colleagues
- 25 days’ holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every year you stay with us up to a maximum of 30 days
- A flexible approach to remote work and a great work-life balance.
- Relocation assistance if you’re considering moving more locally.
Our Recruitment Process
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.